Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

What the Heck is an FMD?

I first heard the term FMD as an 18 year old eager/stressed/overwhelmed first year medical student. I'm not sure if the person had made it up or heard it somewhere else but I still remember it. FMD=Future Medical Doctor. I thought it was super clever perhaps that is why I remember it. I was so easily impressed and had just begun my long journey as a FMD. There was nothing else in the world I wanted to do more than to be where I was at that moment. I had decided that I was going to be a physician when I was probably 8 years old and whether it was my passion for helping people or my hardheaded determination to stick with what I decided on, I never changed my mind. I learned about the 6 year medical program when I was a Freshmen in high school and from that moment on everything I did was to get into that program. When my acceptance letter came, I cried. Calling my grandma(who is by far one of my biggest cheerleaders) while crying, her first words were, "Oh honey, I'm so sorry." It was the tears, they confused her. Choking back my sobs, I said "grandma I got in." She of course was ecstatic and proud. Neither of us knew what the hell I was getting myself into. That first year of ups and downs and then just downs, I never really could picture myself as a doctor. Actually it probably wasn't until I got back my Step 1 score a couple of weeks ago that I really could see the light at the end.
It seems so surreal that in less than 2 years I will be writing prescriptions, getting even less sleep, and going by the title Dr. It was probably just a few months ago that I realized how lucky I am to have the experiences and opportunities that I have. I have been writing a crafting blog for a year and half now and it hit me while writing this last entry that I should write about my experiences. If for no other reason than to encourage those who are in my shoes when things don't go right, to keep some kind of correspondence with my family who barely see me, and just to look back on for a laugh when that FMD is just a MD.
I hope this blog will be entertaining, humorous, encouraging, inspiring, and above all worth the read!
Fall of Year 1

Spring of Year 1

Moving into the dorms...Do I have enough pictures???

No comments:

Post a Comment