Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pediatric Clinics

For the last couple of weeks, I have been working in primary care pediatric clinics and I am loving it! Unfortunately, my time in pediatrics is coming to an end in the near future. I have my SHELF exam on Tuesday and on Friday I switch to my next rotation, rural family medicine. The last couple of weeks has reinforced my love for children, but reminded me that I still have so much to learn. Speaking of which, I should totally be studying, but I have Christmas fever. Anyone who knows me knows how much I absolutely love Christmas! Basically the first weekend in November I consider the beginning of Christmas season. I started shopping weeks ago and hope to be done shopping by the end of November. I don't really like the crowded stores. I prefer being able to enjoy my search for the perfect gifts without having to navigate my way through a bunch of other people. Plus unhappy people ruins my Christmas spirit. So the realization that next weekend will my decoration weekend has me a little side tracked today. I'm thinking a red and white Christmas tree this year and I am trying to figure out the best place for my Christmas village. This time next week I will be rearranging furniture, listening to Christmas music, and sipping on hot chocolate. It would be a total waste of time to try to convince me that it is too early, I totally respect everyone who waits until after Thanksgiving, but in my house it is hard enough to wait until after Halloween.
Speaking of Halloween, I am getting excited for the trick-or-treaters. I plan on decorating my door and have my bowl of candy waiting for the little ones. I just hope I get home in time to give out candy.
So back to pediatric clinics and perhaps a small snap shot of my 2 weeks of nursery. I learned a lot while on nursery and it comprises a good part of our exam, so I am glad I have that opportunity. However, I know that nursery is not in my future.
I have seen some really wonderful parenting in the last month. While in nursery, we were doing the last exam on a baby before the family went home when the dad and big brother came in. The big brother had to be about 2 years old and he was carrying in flowers for his mom. Talk about heart melting! While in pediatric clinic, I did a double well child visit for a 2 month old and her 3 year old sister. Both parents stood by listening, participating, and interacting with their children. The 3 year old continuous was saying either "hi mommy" or "hi daddy" and the parents would say hi back with a chuckle. Never getting frustrated with the constant interruptions which I found adorable. While examining the baby, mom read the 3 year old a book and with each turn of the page she would get excited and start jumping around. You could simply tell that the kids were well loved and thriving. I am a total sucker for cute kids, happy families, and successful parenting. It is a reminder that happiness and good parenting has nothing to do with economic status.

Things I have learned in clinic:
1. 2 year olds love pen lights. I mean seriously they could be entertained for hours. One kid shined it straight in his eye and laughed. All I could think was does that not bother you?
2. Ear exams are tricky. That being said, if you are examining an infant and need them to look the other way simple move your head to that side and they will turn to see what you are looking at.
3. There are way too many people out there co-sleeping with their infants.
4. Giving the "this is puberty" talk is a lot more awkward if you have define words.
5. There is nothing more encouraging than to sit and tell the doctor you are working with all the advice you gave the family and have them sit there and smile and nod their head.
6. There are doctors out there who are like me. Aware of our social issues and want to save the world.
7. It doesn't matter how hard I have to work, how early I have to be there, or how late I have to stay as long as I enjoy what I am doing, I am happy.
8. When I am on my A game, I do super well and parents will tell me everything. When I am not on my A game, apparently I am awkward.
9. I am still able to run down 2 flights of stairs and across a parking lot for a code even in my new dress shoes that have a heel on them. Glad I tested that out.
10. Pediatrics is such a happy place to be. Okay I already knew that.

Even though my pediatric rotation is coming to an end, I still have so much to look forward to and so much I have enjoyed. I learned a ton during this month, worked with some impressive physicians, got a recommendation letter, received tons of advice, and improved my clinic skills greatly. Next month, I get to go home and stay with my grandparents while working in my home town. I'm excited to be able to actually be part of my family for a few weeks. On December 1st, my father and I are going to my first NFL game which just happens to be one of the biggest games of the year. And I'm getting closer and closer to the time where I will get to spend all of my time either in pediatrics or the emergency room. Back to studying!

No comments:

Post a Comment